In the Luther Household - Participant
In the Luther Household
A Bible Study on the Lutheran Understanding of Marriage and Family
by the Rev. Steven E. King
One of the most important aspects of the Lutheran Reformation was its emphasis on the Godly vocation and calling of the everyday Christian. One of the most important vocations in which many of us serve is in the area of marriage and families - as husbands and wives, parents and children, and members of the extended Christian community.
This six-session Bible study focuses on these important themes. Based on foundational texts from Scripture, the study also draws from the real-life experience of Martin and Katie Luther, who were not only husband and wife, but the parents of several children. It includes excerpts from Luther's personal writings to family and friends as they faced the good and bad that come in everyday living.
Contents of the Bible Study:
Introduction to the Study
Foreword by Martin Luther
1. The Reform of Marriage and Family (Psalm 128:1-6, Mark 10:1-9, Genesis 24:1-67)
2. The Estate of Marriage and Family (Ecclesiastes 4:7-12, Genesis 2:15-25, Ruth 4:1-17)
3. The Vocation of Marriage and Family (John 13:1-17, Ephesians 5:15-33, 6:1-4, Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 2:22-35)
4. The Struggle of Marriage and Family (Matthew 10:34-39, Romans 8:12-37, 1 Samuel 2:12-35)
5. The Blessing of Marriage and Family (Hosea 1:1-3, 2:14-23, 2 Corinthians 5:14-19, Genesis 50:14-26)
6) The Community of Marriage and Family (Isaiah 54:1-8, 1 Coriunthians 12:12-27, Ruth 1:1-18)
Order the accompnaying Leader's Guide HERE.
This study was sponsored by the North American Lutheran Church (NALC) Holy Families! Initiative through a generous grant from the Thrivent Foundation in honor of the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation in 2017. Check out the Holy Families website at: www.holyfamilytime.com.