Writers Guidelines - Connections
Connections is a magazine for evangelical Lutheran Christians. It is published six times each year. The general editor of the magazine is Ms. Karen Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org). The online address for her independant publishing work is at:
If you have an idea or topic you would like us to consider for an article, please tell us about it. You may contact our managing editor, Steve King, by phone 612-605-1565 or by email at: email@example.com. All queries and manuscripts received will be evaluated, but cannot be returned.
Article Themes and Content
Each issue of Connections is based around a particular theme or topic. Articles may be theological, biblical, missional, ecclesiological, or devotional in nature, but should in some way relate to the focus of that issue. For example, you might be telling our readers about a mission or ministry that you are involved with, but we ask that you draw a thematic connection to the topic at hand.
The themes of our 2023-2024 issues will center around the major time-periods of the Bible, and how the themes of these sections relates to our present-day experience of faith, as follows:
November-December 2022 - article submission deadline: October 10, 2022
> Biblical Time Period: "Pre-History" - themes of creation and fall
January-February 2023 - article submission deadline: December 10, 1022
> Biblical Time Period: "Ancestors" - themes of family relationships in faith
March-April 2023 - article submission deadline: February 10, 1023
> Biblical Time Period: "Slavery" - themes of bondage to sin, death, devil
May-June 2023 - article submission deadline: April 10, 2023
> Biblical Time Period: "Exodus" - themes of deliverance and freedom
July-August 2023 - article submission deadline: June 10, 2023
> Biblical Time Period: "Wanderings - themes of God's guidance and the functions of the law"
September-October 2023 - article submission deadline: August 10, 2023
> Biblical Time Period: "Conquest" - themes of conflict and spiritual warfare
November-December 2023 - article submission deadline: October 10, 2023
> Biblical Time Period: "Judges" - themes of repeating cycles of sin/redemption
January-February 2024 - article submission deadline: December 10, 1023
> Biblical Time Period: "Monarchy" - themes of government and politics
March-April 2024 - article submission deadline: February 10, 1024
> Biblical Time Period: "Division" - themes of idolatry and consequences
May-June 2024 - article submission deadline: April 10, 2024
> Biblical Time Period: "Exile" - themes of hope in the midst of hopelessness
July-August 2024 - article submission deadline: June 10, 2024
> Biblical Time Period: "Return" - themes of restoration and fulfillment in God
September-October 2024 - article submission deadline: August 10, 2024
> Biblical Time Period: "Gospel" - themes of Jesus as Savior and Lord
November-December 2024 - article submission deadline: October 10, 2024
> Biblical Time Period: "Mission" - themes of evanglism and mission
Please read our guidelines below before submitting your article, photo, or artwork. Connections prefers to accept submissions by email. Every submission is considered. If your proposed article is of interest, we will contact you within 30 days.
When submitting your article or manuscript, please follow these guidelines:
1) Include your name, mailing address, and phone number in the upper-left corner of the first page. Note the word count in the upper-right corner.
2) Email manuscripts to Steven King (firstname.lastname@example.org) as an document attachment, not as the body of the email text. We prefer Microsoft Word documents. Please put "Connections Submission" in the subject line of the email.
3) Include a biographic sketch of 30-35 words at the end of the article. We also ask you to submit a picture of yourself ('head shot') suitable for inclusion in the magazine.
4) Include Scripture references for any Biblical quotations after the final quotation mark, with a period after the final parenthesis mark. Example: “God so loved the world" (John 3:16 ESV). Sola normally uses the ESV, but other versions are acceptable.
5) Capitalize the first letter of all proper names for the Divinity, but not pronouns unless it's unclear to whom you are referring.
6) If you submit a topical photo for possible inclusion with your article, please give credit or specify who owns photographs that you submit. (This does not apply to the author's photo.)
7) Normally, articles are limited to between 800-1200 words; shorter devotional articles may be 400-500 words in length.
Submission of a manuscript, photo, or artwork constitutes permission to publish. All submissions are subject to editing. If an article meets our criteria, we reserve the right to hold it for a future issue. The editor of Connections reserves the right to edit your manuscript for clarity and space, and to reject any article or photo at any stage of our editing/production process.
Copyrights: If accepted for publication, you are giving Sola Publishing one-time print publication right to the article, as well as the right to include your published submission in any archive editions that may be made available on CD or online. Authors maintain full rights to their work after publication.
Compensation: We are unable to compensate writers for submissions. However, each author will be mentioned in the Table of Contents, and have their photograph and a brief bio in each article featured in Connections. Authors will also receive a complimentary copy of the issue in which their article appears and special pricing on extra copies.
Thank you for considering a submission to Connections!