Saints and Sinners Vol. 1 (Participant)
Saints and Sinners
Volume 1: Witnesses to the Faith
A Seven-Session Bible Study on New Testament Characters
By Dr. Dan Lioy, PhD
All those who believe and trust in Jesus as their Savior are both saints and sinners. The same was true of the people in Holy Scripture.
By virtue of our baptism into Christ, we are made holy by his saving grace. This is not something we do on our own, but something that is imputed to us by Jesus. At the same time, we are plagued by that age-old sin that makes us want to be in control of our own lives. As those who are called by God to follow Jesus in obedient discipleship, we, like many before us, have been called to be witness to God's saving grace in Jesus Christ. May this study of saints and sinners enrich your understanding of life with Christ and encourage you in discipleship. Go HERE for a video description.
This seven-session study is the first in a three-part series on Saints and Sinners in the New Testament who were powerful witnesses to the faith in Christ. The chapters in this volume focus on people from the early chapters of Luke and Matthew. Thought it could be used at any time of year, i would make an excellent study for the Seasons of Advent and Christmas.
1. Zechariah and Elizabeth: A Story of Prayer (Luke 1:5-25, 57-80 and Psalm 24)
2. Mary: A Story of Trust and Obedience (Luke 1:26-45 and Psalm 33)
3. Joseph: A Story of God’s Guidance (Matthew 1:18-25 and Psalm 67)
4. The Shepherds: A Story of Sharing the Good News (Luke 2:1-20 and Psalm 96)
5. The Magi: A Story of Worship (Matthew 2:1-12 and Psalm 72)
6. Simeon and Anna: A Story of God’s Plan (Luke 2:22-38 and Psalm 111)
7. John the Baptizer: A Story of Suffering for the Faith (Matthew 11:2-11, 14:1-12, Ps 143)
A Pattern of Daily Scripture Readings and Weekly Group Discussion
Studies in this series is formatted for each person in a group to spend time alone with God in the Word for five days and then gather with the group for a time of sharing and debriefing. The booklet can be used by each member of the group as a daily devotion, with a Bible study on the sixth or seventh day, when the larger group gathers.
Go HERE for the Leader's Guide to this study.